Thursday, September 1, 2011

Who's really living?

I freely admit that I am a keen Facebooker. On a daily basis, I centre myself in a moment, using this social networking site to summarise an event, an idea, an experience so that in a way, it is a kind of meditation.

Philosophers of our times often caution us to be aware of the 'now', to live in the present and personally, I find sites like Facebook a readily available tool in allowing us to do just that.

So I'm not ashamed of my Facebook addiction, although sometimes, it can consume a little too much time for my liking.   Overall I find it an enhancing, connecting medium that allows me to stay in touch with friends and relatives around the world.

So when, recently, I was discussing Facebook with what my sons would call 'noobs' to the Facebook world, I was secretly outraged when they alluded to the fact that I was "always on Facebook" and they "didn't have time".

The subtext of course that THEY were so much busier (ie. doing much more IMPORTANT things) that I could not possibly be doing anything constructive with my life. There was a certain tone of disparagement.

It was at this point that I did a stocktake of my year to date. Was I really leading such a useless life of pointless, time-wasting Facebook addiction? Was I really such a pathetic bum scratcher?

I took a deep breath and looked back at my Year to Date and I have to say, I was relieved.

Between January to August 2011 here is a list of the things I've done - if indeed "doing" is the only monitor of a worthwhile and constructive life:

I completed my CPR and First Aid Certificate (something I've always wanted to do). I learned how to save a life. Surely that's worth something.

I have almost completed a Certificate in Fitness including 6 weeks of work-experience. I have one chapter to go I admit though - and am seeking motivation for that home run.

I qualified as a soccer referree and passed many a glorious Saturday morning on a Soccer field, helping young kids be better players and good sporstsmen.

According to my handy Nike device, I've run 80 kms in just the last few weeks, and walked the length and breadth of my neighbourhood for exercise and pleasure. I got to the gym at least once a week.

I completed a huge array of tasks to assist a local Mayoral candidate with what is an exhausting campaign - amongst them, a launch event (150 people), a business event (200 people) and just this week a small lunch for 50 people. In November there's another major event that I'm already pre-planning. I also dropped letters in 4500 letterboxes in my neighbourhood and EVERY Thursday evening for the last few months, without fail, I've attended a meeting of some kind with my candidate - a beautiful hearted woman I would passionately love to see become Mayor of my City.

On the personal front I held a party for 80 for my husband's birthday, I hosted my parents' Golden Anniversary celebration and, this month, I'll be hosting my son's 18th birthday party (with a horde, no doubt). In short, I've entertained the population of a small country at my home including dinner parties.

I travelled to Bali for 10 blissful days with very dear friends.

I joined a band (briefly) before learning a sorry lesson about the humours of the increasingly old and grumpy - I now know how to beat a drum!

I painted 13 paintings and exhibited them with my sister and Father as part of a family exhibition (and I sold six of them!).

I have played at least 15 soccer games, I hang out at the Golf Club from time to time, and this year, have enjoyed a weekly Trivia game at the golf club with a close group of friends.

I also still managed to run my small business and this year, completed projects for organisations in South Australia, NSW and throughout Queensland. Did I mention I scored three new clients this year? One of them is a non-fiction book I'll have written by the end of the year.

And I still have four months of the year to go.

So don't give me a hard time about how much you see me post on Facebook. It's insulting to insinuate that people who enjoy communicating via whatever medium - phone, social networks, SMS - are frittering their time.

You may discover that quite to the contrary - those who are on Facebook are the busiest and most active people of all.
They're living fruitful and fulfilling lives which is exactly WHY they have so much to share.





No comments:

Post a Comment